Petr Pisar wrote:
Despite there is incompatibility between updated file and rpmbuild, which could be fixed probably on rpmbuild side to scan modules and scripts for requires, the basic problem is git.spec uses old, obsoleted, and broken manual generators:

Thanks Petr. I knew that was the older method, but from what I read in the guidelines, I didn't think it was known to be broken. The Perl guidelines say:

"In the past, several other methods were given for doing this filtering. Those should be considered deprecated and packages should be updated to use the macros on [[2]] as time and the natural rebuild cycle permits."

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Perl?rd=Packaging/Perl#Filtering_Requires_and_Provides

I took that to mean that the older method was expected to continue to work. I have tried hard to ensure that git is easily rebuilt for EL, as RHEL ships an ancient git in EL6 and many folks want something more recent (myself included). I can certainly convert git to use the new methods on supported Fedora releases, but I was hoping to not have to do so just yet. :)

It is insufficient to protect ourselves with laws; we need to protect
ourselves with mathematics.
    -- Bruce Schneier