On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 09:23:49AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> "A*lot* of those applications haven't seen an upstream release in
> half a decade"
> Which poses security risk and bugs not being dealt and bad end user
> experience if our end user base chooses to install it.
> ( because if they were actually being maintained here with us those
> fixes would have found it's way upstream and new releases been made
> right ).

So, one possibility would be to move less-maintained packages to a separate
repository tree still included as Fedora and enabled by default (but maybe
removed from any references in comps). That could serve as a signal to both
users (who could see that the package comes from a different place) and
maintainers (who wouldn't have their package just _dropped_). And it would
make it more obvious when packages that are maintained have
possibly-dangerous dependencies on unmaintained ones.

I'm not sure the benefits of that are worth the effort, but if someone is
interested in working on it, it could be worth exploring.

> But clearly you dont understand that.

Jóhann, please review Fedora Code of Conduct:
http://fedoraproject.org/code-of-conduct. Let's keep this conversation both
civil and focused on the issue itself.

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mat...@fedoraproject.org>