On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2014, at 10:42 AM, Andrew Lutomirski <l...@mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> I think that half the difficulty here is that UEFI is annoying and the
>> other half is that both GRUB2 and efibootmgr are miserable.
>
> For single OS installs, you shouldn't have to interact with any of those
> things. shim.efi, or shim via fallback.efi (?) will even do a fallback boot
> of Fedora if NVRAM has somehow been vanquished.

How does firmware find shim.efi?  Is it installed as bootx64.efi?
IIRC that approach used to be frowned upon.

> Multiboot, you get to deal with either your firmware's boot manager, or learn
> a 3rd party replacement (including GRUB, gummiboot, or rEFInd).
>
>>  TBH, I've
>> never had much trouble convincing UEFI to load an image -- most of the
>> trouble is convincing GRUB2, once successfully running, to do anything
>> useful.
>
> Care to be more specific? The UX should be basically identical to grub on
> BIOS.

Exactly.  The GRUB2 UX is special.  :)   Somehow anaconda does the
right thing.  Since I haven't the faintest clue what the right thing
is, I can't replicate it.

To be fair, UEFI is slightly worse.  Disk numbers seem to change on
occasion if they're in a bad mood, at least on my box.

>>  (The Debian/Ubuntu approach regenerating grub config all the
>> time is nicer here, but it still sucks.  I'm anxiously awaiting
>> BootLoaderSpec and something that isn't GRUB or GRUB2 to make a lot of
>> the unpleasantness go away.)
>
> It's a continuum. The less interaction the less customizable but the more
> pleasant. Automatic is great, when it just works. That usually means
> constraining the options. For gummiboot it means it's presently not
> supporting boot from anything but FAT32 which I find untenable. Way too much
> writing is happening on a FAT32 volume in that paradigm for my comfort level.
>  So yes, when it decides what it wants to be when it grows up, then it could
> be a viable alternative. And like I mentioned in another thread [1],
> bootloaderspec has regressive boot capabilities also, it effectively says no
> to snapshotting $BOOT. Since the kernel goes on $BOOT, it means $BOOT
> contents can be so new they can't boot older snapshots which contain older
> /lib/modules. So if rootfs is being snapshot, then /boot needs to be snapshot
> with it.

Fair enough.  Some day this will all work well.

In the mean time, I actually preferred GRUB 1, the lack of maintenance
notwithstanding.

--Andy