On Feb 22, 2014, at 9:39 AM, Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 19:08:15 -0700,
>  Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>>
>> The idea of what Anaconda can do to create powerful storage stacks with open
>> source software has significant merit. But it's in the wrong place. It's an
>> anchor on the installer, and can only be leveraged during an install of
>> RHEL, CentOS or Fedora.
>
> What would you have people do instead? For example run a live image to do the
> partitioning, raid, lvm, dmcrypt, and file system setup before doing the
> install? Even then, you need some way to tell the installer which directories
> go on which file systems for the install.

I'm mainly suggesting a decoupling of all of this effort from an installation
only context, so that it can be used to create and modify storage stacks
without installing an OS. I don't particularly care how it manifests - separate
app, or a spoke within the current app. Communicating the layout can be done
with a fstab-like metadata file. If there's no inclination to do this for a
much broader use case, then why wedge so much capability and effort into a
narrow installer-only use case? Bootable raid6 and raid4??

Chris Murphy