Reindl Harald writes:

> Am 23.06.2014 19:36, schrieb Chris Adams:
>> Once upon a time, Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net> said:
>>> without that protection any "what is that, i don't need it"
>>> and try to remove it brings the danger to ruin the setup
>>
>> And the protection is already there - the list of dependent packages
>> that will be removed, followed by a confirmation request that you really
>> want to do that
>
> expeting that every user knows every package and can make
> taht decision for sure is naive

„If you don't know what the package is for - don't remove it”.
If I type „dnf remove <foo>” and I see only „foo” is going to be
removed, most probably I'm fine. However, if the tool lists 100 packages
to be removed as dependencies, most probably I should answer *N*.

Seriously. A user can do „su” and then remove random files in /bin
directory. Including yum, dnf, rpm and bash.

Do we want to also disallow that?

> guess why - because until now i could trust the operating
> systems not let me uninstall important ones

I would never „trust” OS here. If you want to have a list of
not-allowed-to-be-removed packages, it is maintained by human. The human
can be wrong. That's why you *always* read the list of packages to be
removed.

And there's no such a thing like „important” package. Maybe I'm using my
own kernels and I really want to remove all Fedora kernels? I don't want
to do any weird hacks to be allowed to do this. „dnf remove kernel”
followed by *Y* is perfectly OK.

I've seen enterprise appliances running RHEL, where vendor removes most
of the tools considered as non-needed *including* RPM.

--
jaroslav