On 06/25/2014 01:47 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 06/23/2014 07:07 PM, drago01 wrote:

You still did not give a simple case why someone with some sanity left
would do "yum remove rpm" or "yum remove yum" ... that makes no sense.
By accident?

E.g.. I for one occasionally use to command line to remove whole sets of
packages and these occasionally produce unexpected results or suffer
from typos.

Accident prevention is exactly what these kind of protections are good for and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

What I find disturbing in this (and other similar threads of the past) is when people are obviously *leaning* on the safety mechanism. The protection as it exists in Fedora today is not up to that, you can easily render a system practically unusable in number of ways without tripping up the yum protections.

For the obligatory car analogy ;) Most people agree that the electronic stability control (ESC/ESP/DSC/...) in modern cars is extremely useful and good for catching the occasional minor driver error. It wont save you from constant reckless driving however.

        - Panu -