Am 24.10.2014 um 12:02 schrieb Mathieu Bridon:
On Fri, 2014-10-24 at 12:00 +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
I'm not updating daily. I upgraded my machine IIRC 2-3 weeks ago. So lets
benchmark it and provide you real data.

My machine have classic magnetic disk, however in SW RAID1.
   Timing cached reads:   12236 MB in  2.00 seconds = 6124.59 MB/sec
   Timing buffered disk reads: 412 MB in  3.00 seconds = 137.12 MB/sec
Fedora 21, 16 GB RAM (2GB free), 8 CPU cores, swap available but none used

I run "dnf upgrade" and I have been offered 853 packages and 1.3 GB to download.
Download lasted 3mins 20secs.
Then installation started and since beginning "transaction started" till the
end lasted exactly 53 minutes.
No specific package is blocking the process, dnf was chewing packages one by
one in steady pace. Veryfing phase lasted
~4 minutes, so it means approximately 3 second per package, which is what I am
seeing on screen.

And this is nothing exceptional. I see similar times across all machines I
maintain. When I'm updating box of my mother
(old EeeBox, updating aprox every 3 months) then the time is usually 3 hours
(however ~1 hour is just download phase).

More than anything, doesn't this just shows that we simply push way too
many updates in Fedora?

no

* first:  the above is Rawhide/Alpha
* second: the reason i run Fedora and not Debian/RHEL is fast updates
* third:  nobody should apply updates every 3 weeks
          but that above is Alpha and so no "production" machine