On 11.9.2015 16:17, Matěj Cepl wrote:
On 2015-09-10, 19:10 GMT, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
The reason for this proposal is relatively simple: we know the
advantages to unbundling, particularly with security and resource-
usage. However, the world's developer community largely *does not
care*. We fought the good fight, we tried to bring people around to
seeing our reasoning and we failed.
I think we should really pause and think about what does the 'does not
care' mindset entail. It's not just the attitude towards bundling: it
extends to security problems, integration issues, and who knows what
other aspect of the product. I concede that it's, as you said, a list of
the same tired arguments---but  they do have a point!  I think it is a
mistake to declare defeat, even if it's nominally only on the specific
issue of bundling.

I don’t know how to say it and looked proud or ignorant, but
after spending many years almost exclusively inside of the free
software movement, I have to admit that the Sturgeon’s Law[1]
did not miss us at all, and ninety percent of all free software
(mine included at the first place) is crap. Most development
practices I can see on GitHub are just absolutely horrible.

Everybody talks here about Freedom, Features, Friends, and
First, but there used to be pride in the Fedora community (and
despite my multiple suggestions it has never made it into The
Big Four keywords; probably nobody found out the way how to make
it into F* word) to Make Things Right. We used to be proud for
the best engineering, and taking a lot of effort to make things
in the proper way even when others (hey, Ubuntu!) just throw out
sometimes horrible crap.

For this I am -1 on this proposal. Yes, there is no way for us
to win over the idiocy, and yes, we will probably have to make
number of exceptions when necessary, but the fight against
entropy should never stop and we should strife to make The Right
Things™ against all odds.

And I am giving Matěj a big +1 for what he wrote here. I completely agree with that.

Regards,
Tomas Mraz