On 09/10/2015 07:10 PM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
On 09/10/2015 09:53 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
The point of software is to provide a service to an end-user. Users
don't run software because it has good packaging policies, they run
software because it meets a need that they have. If they can't get
that software from Fedora, they *will* get it from another source (or
use a different OS that doesn't get in their way). I'll take a moment
to remind people that two of Fedora's Four Foundations are "Features"
and "First". We want Fedora to be the most feature-complete
distribution available and we want to get there before anyone else
does. I would say that holding to our no-bundling policy actively
defeats our efforts on that score.
Those are valid points, but I think that there are alternative approaches to address them. Can containerization it be leveraged to handle the packages which require bundling? This way, we could maintain the principled stance, and use containers with bundling packages as a temporary measure.

That would be more like a permanent solution since everything is evolving into that direction however you would still need a separate means of installing that bundle and those means would not be rpm afaikt.

JBG