On Mon, 2015-11-09 at 17:11 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-11-09 at 13:56 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Kamil Paral wrote:
> > > So we could ignore freeze just for packages not being on any install
> > > medium. But then I'm not sure how much that is helpful and it might be
> > > difficult to implement this in Bodhi.
> >
> > In the old manual process, I just had to ask rel-eng and they'd blanket-OK
> > freeze overrides for such packages (with the same arguments as yours, i.e.,
> > it cannot really break anything).
>
> Yes - and that frequently went wrong. That's precisely why we ditched
> that process and came up with a better one, where the decision isn't
> made on-the-fly by whoever happens to be reading the tickets in releng,
> but is made according to an established process, by a sensible group of
> stakeholders, with proper tracking and a paper trail.

Sorry, I missed that you were talking about packages not on the release
media. Yeah, those are kind of odd because you can argue them either
way: on the one hand pulling them in is unlikely to break anything, on
the other hand, what's the point of doing it? I'd usually still err on
the side of caution and leave them out, just in case they somehow break
the buildroot or do something else strange, if there's no actual
particular reason to push them.

And yes, there is an obvious technical problem - we don't actually have
the ability, right now, to know for sure exactly what packages are
somehow directly involved in building the media.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey