On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 1:36 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
<denni...@conversis.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently looking into using npm v3 with nodejs v4. The problem I've
> run into is that npm is apparently part of the main nodejs package which
> effectively joins them at the hip for no apparent good reason.
>
> Upstream ships npm with nodejs because they need npm to bootstrap the
> environment and cannot rely on a higher level dependency mechanism
> because there is none. As a result they encourage to simply install a
> new npm by replacing the old one.
>
> In an rpm based environment however this does not work because the files
> are owned by the rpm and any reinstall or update will overwrite these
> files again with the ones from the rpm. On the other hand rpm has its
> own dependency resolution so the bootstrapping issue doesn't exists.
>
> As a result I would like to see npm separated from nodejs so that
> alternative versions can be installed in the same way that some packages
> require a mail transfer agent but not a specific one.
> For nodejs this would mean that by default the npm version that is now
> bundled gets pulled in by default but that the user has the option to
> specify an explicit package (like npm v3) that can satisfy the npm
> dependency.

Probably best to discuss this on the Fedora nodsje mailing list [1], I
know there's discussion on npm packaging already happening there and
packaging of npm deps and other fun details.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/admin/lists/nodejs.lists.fedoraproject.org/