On 01/11/2016 03:57 PM, Dan Horák wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 15:46:27 +0100
> Jan Kurik <jku...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: Change Proposal Name NewRpmDBFormat =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NewRpmDBFormat
>>
>> Change owner(s):
>> * Florian Festi < ffesti AT redhat DOT com >
>>

>> Change format of the RPM Database from Berkeley DB to RPM's own
>> format.
>>
>> == Detailed Description ==
>> The current implementation of the RPM Database is based on Berkeley
>> DB. There are doubts about the its future and level of maintenance. In
>> addition rpm's use of the database has multiple issues on its own. As
>> a result RPM upstream is working to replace the database format with a
>> new implementation.
>
> does it mean rpm is changing from Berkeley DB library to another
> library or to a completely new implementation of a database engine?

We change to our own format. One of the problem is the bit special
requirements of rpm where you want to have non privileged readers that
must not have any write access - which is required for most databases
for locking.

Florian

--

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael