> Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:50 AM +01:00 from Florian Weimer
<fwei...@redhat.com>:
> > How it is supposed to be debugged by upstream developers?
>
> With GDB?

Yes, for C/C++ packages.

> Fedora provides debugging information for most of its packages, and you
> can extract them from RPMs and specify “set debug-file-directory” in GDB
> to use them, even without installing them.

-debuginfo should be for the same build version as a binary itself.
Most users never install -debuginfo. I'm not sure that old packages are tracked
somewhere for, say, rawhide.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> Note that Fedora also compiles with -fexceptions, which provides
> unwinding information despite missing frame pointers.  In general, the
> debugging experience is *much* better than on other systems.

Yeah, -fexceptions is very useful.
I enabled it long time ago.

> > It would be nice to have **at least** a proper backtrace for crashed
daemons.
> > Even better to have a) coredump b) binary c) debug symbols for this
version of binary.
> > Otherwise I can't suggest to use such packages for the end users.
>
> coredumpctl works well enough for me.

Does it log stack traces with symbol names on crash?
Currently we manually produce stack traces on crashes in Tarantool (a in-memory
database),
because coredumps are completely overkill for some large instances.

--
WBR,
    Roman Tsisyk <ro...@tarantool.org>