> On Tue, 26.01.16 08:58, Petr Spacek (pspa...@redhat.com) wrote:
>
>> I disagree with your disagreement. We have only 1 shared namespace for this
>> world, and like it or not, the root zone (and thus all single-label names in
>> it) is managed by ICANN.
>
> Well, did you actually read the earlier discussions in this thread?
>
> Again: it is well-known that single-label (aka "dotless domains") are
> supposed to be interpreted in a local context, using domain search
> paths, LLMNR and other local configuration.

This is irrelevant for the concerns Petr and others have voiced.

You cannot use priorities to resolve namespace collisions.  The
collision still exists with the low-priority synthesized “gateway” name
we have today.  The name is not a stable reference to the address of the
default gateway because of its low priority.  This makes it unreliable,
difficult to use, and unsuitable for documentation and other user
guidance.  Changing it to something that does not collide with names in
the DNS namespace (such as “_gateway”) would change that because we
could give it higher priority and make sure that it is a stable name for
the gateway addresses.

Florian