On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underw...@gmail.com> said:
>> I wonder if the MDB (or LMDB) database from the openldap team was evaluated
>> as a possible BDB replacement?
>
> There's also TDB from Samba.
>
> I certainly don't know RPM's requirements, but it seems shortsighted
> from a long-term maintenance point of view to implement a custom
> database, both from a format and a code point of view.
>
> The prime reason to change away from BDB is "doubts about its future and
> level of maintenance" - how is reinventing a wheel any easier than
> keeping an existing wheel working?

My understanding of the problem is that it's less about the "doubts
about its future" and more about the fact Oracle inexplicably changed
the license with BDB 6.x to AGPLv3. Berkley DB 5.3 is old, and no one
has forked it and maintained it. That said, my guess is that they
viewed the change as an opportunity to deal with some long-standing
issues with the current RPM Database format and system, as they've
detailed on the rpm.org site[0]. I'm not sure to what extent these
problems are true now, but that may have been one of the goals of the
new database format.

[0]: http://rpm.org/wiki/Problems/RpmDB