On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 07:28:52AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> Changes are not used for that purpose.  It is expressly the reason we
>> decided to stop calling them Features.  Changes focus on the technical
>> content and impact for communication with Fedora developers.  There's
>> nothing in this one that other developers really need to know about on
>> a project wide scale.
>>
>> If someone wants to market something, they should be working with the
>> docs and marketing teams directly.
>
> Hmmm. I'm not sure this is true -- or if it is, we might need something
> else. Marketing still uses the changes as a primary communication
> channel for this kind of thing. The Changes Policy page says "Public
> announcement of a new self contained change promotes cooperation on the
> change, and extends its visibility."

Sigh, really?  Somewhere in the intervening years we've regressed then.

The problem we originally addressed was that marketing would scroll
through the Features and randomly pick some subset to promote the
upcoming release.  It was terrible.  They'd choose things like "new
update of the D programming language" because they didn't know what
that meant or if it was important.  FESCo was similarly terrible at
figuring out which Features were neat marketing material.  Some were
obvious, but most were not.

That led to people filing Features for whatever they thought was
important, which is fine but it overloaded the Feature process and put
hoops and hurdles in front of people where there shouldn't be.  It
also diluted our marketing message to basically be a massive list of
all the Features, which all seemed equally important to the project.
An end user would read it and be very confused what Fedora was for.

So FESCo switched to Changes to focus solely on the technical impacts
of a _change_.  People were supposed to be directed to docs and
marketing if they just wanted to highlight something they thought
would be neat.  And now we've come full circle and here we are today.

> Honestly, I'm more than a little unhappy to be coming down on people
> for attempting to follow formal procedures and increase communication
> and cooperation.

I'm not coming down on anyone.  I didn't say it wasn't important.  I
didn't say we shouldn't do this.  I'm asking why this is different
than any other new package addition we do in the distribution.  I've
not gotten an answer at all.  If the answer is "marketing" then we
should help them talk to marketing...

josh