On 02/26/2016 10:39 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 08:56:27AM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>>
>>> For this reasons we have weak dependencies. I guess that:
>>>   Recommends: glibc-all-langpacks
>>> can do the work (install or by default, can be safely removed). Or
>>>   Suggests: glibc-all-langpacks
>>> so it is not installed by default, but users can get the information that
>>> it can enhance the usability of glibc.
>>>

>> Yeah, I think the best approach would be to have all the langpacks offer a
>> virtual Provides: glibc-langpack and have the main package Requires:
>> glibc-langpack and Suggests: glibc-all-langpacks. The net result would be
>> that
>> unless a specific langpack was chosen, you'd end up with all of them to
>> satisfy
>> the requirement. (This would also unbreak the upgrades without needing a
>> patch
>> to dnf system-upgrade)
>
> That would be a much better solution. dnf-system-upgrade so far didn't
> have any special handling for specific packages (except for a check
> that the kernel is in the upgrade transaction) and there no mechanism
> like this is implemented.

We are investigating switching to this. It shouldn't be a problem, and
with a quick rebuild of glibc in F24 I think we'll be ready. I just need
to run through the testing quickly on Monday.

All of our langpacks are auto-generated based on glibc supported locales
so there is no grunt work in changing, just testing again that it works
smoothly.

Cheers,
Carlos.