On 11/12/2012 19:20, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:44:20 +0000
Nick Treleaven <nick.trelea...@btinternet.com> wrote:

On 10/07/2012 12:55, Nick Treleaven wrote:
2. A weird problem. Installing from cmd.exe doesn't overwrite
geany.glade (and maybe some other files) even though it appears to
succeed. [...]

So, I did a search for geany.glade and discovered it in:
c:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Geany\data

reading up on the VirtualStore path, I found it gets created when an
application tries to write to a system path like Program Files, without
the correct privileges. The application then silently receives the
VirtualStore versions of files instead. [...]

Now that's a... a system designed without security, attempting to
provide "compatibility" with weird tricks.

What's the situation with geany.exe in this case - doesn't it create
even more problems? The newest win~1 versions are very sinsitive about
replacing executables.

To be honest I don't understand exactly when the VirtualStore path gets written to, but for Geany I think we probably want to just disable it altogether. I think this requires a 'manifest' XML file, referenced in the .rc file:

Yet another Windows build file with a version and metadata to update on release :-/