Am 27.10.2013 12:49, schrieb Nick Treleaven:
On 26/10/2013 20:29, Matthew Brush wrote:
If the GeanyDocument were a GObject (or we added hand-rolled reference
counting), the document would never get freed from under the code that
uses them's backs.

My concern is that we might not find all the code that assumes documents aren't freed. Some code might not be updated and would access the wrong memory. I'm not certain, but I think there may be some code that retains pointers without checking is_valid. Maybe I'm being over-cautious.

If that would be the case it is buggy now and will be buggy afterwards.

Personally I think reference counting would be OTT for this (particularly manually incremented/decremented ref counting), there doesn't seem to be a sensible reason to free document memory IMO.

I agree with Matthew, reference counting seems to be the right tool for this job.

Best regards.