On 23.9.2014 г. 03:22, Matthew Brush wrote:

On 14-09-22 08:23 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:

If I'm going to distro-hop, why not Windows? A working desktop, if
nothing else.

In no particular order, off the top of my head...

- Sandboxing
- Windows Store
- .NET
[...]
- etc...

- Not designed to be used by non-administrator. Fixable by writing some utility programs. - A zoo of user interfaces. Blood-red, poison-green or Turkish-blue for main backgrounds...
- Crappy 3rd party drivers, even from respected companies.
- 80% of the programs run properly in "96 DPI" :) only. Of the ones that "support" high DPI, half would better not, including FF and Opera. Somewhat fixable with 7even.

That being said, if you cram enough FOSS onto Windows it can be made
nearly usable, and also Linux usually runs great in a virtual machine :)

750MB of MinGW + MSYS, with it's own package manager. Though I probably installed too much stuff, especially autotools.

Several end-user programs are the same as in Linux. What do you know, even Transmission kind of runs on Win~1 these days.

--
E-gards: Jimmy