On 2015-11-08 2:34 PM, Devyn Collier Johnson wrote:
Geany Dev Team:

I have some additional ideas that I would like to share with you all and
get feedback before I implement the code.

*./data/filetype_extensions.conf*

- Adding "*.s03;*.s79;*.s82;*.s90;*.s;*.S;" to "ASM="
*.s## - GNU-style Assembly (GAS/AT&T)
Capital "S" - Must be preprocessed
Lowercase "s" - Does not require preprocessing
The numbers appended to *.s indicate the assembly version or intended
microprocessor [...]

Does the ASM lexer support the AT&T syntax? I thought it was for Intel syntax (NASM/MASM/etc), but if not, adding .S seems to make sense, it's what GCC outputs when you tell it to generate only assembly (-S option IIRC).

- Adding "*.ll;" to "ASM="
I suggested this before, but I want to ensure that the team is okay with
this idea before I commit and PR
LLVM assembly ( http://linux.die.net/man/1/llvm-as )

Does the ASM lexer support LLVM IR? It's quite a bit different from either Intel or AT&T syntax.

[...]

- Adding "*.r;*.f15;*.F15;" to "Fortran="
*.r - Fortran source code which must be preprocessed with a RATFOR
preprocessor

The *.r one is probably more commonly used for R language code, which is already in the filetype_extensions.conf. Adding it for Fortran means it will get used first, and R programmers will have to start editing the file manually to restore previous.

http://labor-liber.org/en/gnu-linux/development/extensions
*.f15 - Fortran 2015
http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/File+extensions

- Adding "*.xaml;" to "XML="
XAML (Extensible Application Markup Language)
This is a markup-language made by Microsoft
XAML is used in .NET Framework 3 and 4
[...]

It's also used for non .NET-specific stuff like the Ribbon framework. Seems OK to add this one to me.

*Previous Ideas*

These proposed Python file-extensions are not officially mentioned in
the Python Documentation. I shared this idea previously in the mailing
list, but I would like to know if this idea is a possibility or a
definite "no". However, some programmers use the extensions.
- py2 and py3
Used to specifically distinguish Python3 code from Python2, especially
when code is written that only works on one of the two versions.
- pygtk
Used to specifically show that a script contains PyGObject or PyGTK
code, as opposed to Qt
- pyqt
Like pygtk, but used to specifically show that a script contains PySide
or PyQt code

After reading my explanation, what do you think about the suggested
Python extensions?

I've been programming in Python for almost a decade and have never come across any of those extensions. Not that it means nobody uses them, just that they mustn't be very popular. Even IDLE doesn't recognize those extensions (at least on Windows 10).

*Possible Ideas*

[...]

- I would like to add support for Qt's QML (Qt Meta Language or Qt
Modeling Language). It is a scripting language that resembles JavaScript
( http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qmlapplications.html ). If the Geany lexers and
parsers highlight this language well, would it be a good idea to add it?

See http://wiki.geany.org/config/qml?s[]=qml

I've done similar before and the result was tolerable, though QtCreator has far better support for QML, so I use that when coding QtQuick stuff.

[...]

- Add support for FASTA ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTA_format &&
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTA [...]

Seems a little esoteric.