On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 at 06:25, Julian Groß via Devel
<devel@lists.geany.org> wrote:

> Dear Geany developers,
>

> is it possible to use the default Geany colour theme (as defined in
> https://github.com/geany/geany/blob/master/data/filedefs/filetypes.common
> ) in an MIT licensed project?
> I have recently switched to KDevelop, created a Geany colour theme for
> it, and would like to upstream that.
> https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/syntax-highlighting/-/merge_requests/465

Note that IANAL (but I know one) and this does not constitute legal
advice.  And the law in your jurisdiction may be different to mine.

filetypes.common is not explicitly licensed, but it is reasonable to
infer that the overall Geany license GPL2+ applies.

That license applies to the copyright, eg the actual file, so a
different file in different format is not covered by GPL even if it
happens to produce the same colours.

For analogy a photo of a cat is copyright, but that copyright does not
prevent other photos of cats, or even of the same cat.

So there it should be ok if a theme written in a different language,
JSON, that happens to use the same colours, has a different license.

Cheers
Lex

PS Colomban's reply came in just before I sent this, the fundamental
mistake (IMHO) he has made is that the copyright covers anything other
than the specific work, ie the set of colours rather than the file
that specifies them for Geany.