On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Joshua Minor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have played with PyODE, but not on the XO.  http://
>  pyode.sourceforge.net/
>
>  I suspect that the XO would not be able to handle a realistic 3D
>  simulation with a large number of objects.  This is partially due to
>  the lack of GL for rendering.
>
>  Simpler things, like wireframe rendering, 2D simulation or small
>  numbers of objects are certainly possible.

Even point particles under gravity is good. I did some on the Apple ][
using TutSIM in the 80s--elliptical comet orbits, chaotic 3-body
orbits. My father worked on the famous bouncing ball program on the
old MIT Whirlwind in vacuum tube days.

>  Someone could port something like these:
>   http://arkitus.com/Play/?id=22
>   http://arkitus.com/Play/?id=18
>
>  Soda or Moovl would make a *great* XO activity:
>   http://sodaplay.com/
>   http://www.moovl.co.uk/

Hot stuff, but proprietary.

>  -josh

Anyway, what I wanted to know was whether anybody would be interested
in porting this, or in joining their community and talking up the XO
project.

>  On Feb 14, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>
>  > Has anybody looked at this for the XO?
>  >
>  > http://opensimulator.org/wiki/PhysicsEngines
>  >
>  > The physics is not very realistic yet. Presumably we could manage
>  > simple statics and dynamics, with graphs of position, velocity, and
>  > acceleration.
>  >
>  > I would like to have a simulation engine available for integration
>  > into e-textbooks. What other candidates are there?
>  >
>  > --
>  > Edward Cherlin
>  > End Poverty at a Profit by teaching children business
>  > http://www.EarthTreasury.org/
>  > "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."--Alan Kay
>  > Devel mailing list
>  > Devel@lists.laptop.org

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/