On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Greg Smith (gregmsmi)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Simon, Marco, Eben et al,
>
> I think the key decision is to default the frame on or off. In addition
> we should have a long term vision for the frame. For example, is it a
> short cut to find things or a first place to look for key features?

Eben, correct me if I'm wrong, I think we went through various
iterations of this.
I think the idea is that the frame is a bridge between the various
activities and views (the only thing which doesn't exactly fit are
devices)

> My main concern is that it pops up. When you don't have good cursor
> control that's a challenge.

Something I would like to understand is that if the main cause here is
the poor trackpad on the XO. A little usability testing might clear
that up.

> If we default off you can still activate it via key stroke. That would
> be my preference.  That way you get "expansion" of space without the
> mouse control issues.

I tend to think that's the safest bet on the short time. But it will
affect discoverability some. Either we come up with ideas on how to
make the key more discoverable, or we try to evaluate how much of a
problem discoverability will be in the field.

> I hope this is not seen as a negative criticism of your work. The UI is
> great overall. We can live with whatever frame solution is agreed and
> there is a solid case to be made on all sides. Let's get the maximum
> info to make an informed decision, then its your call :-)

It's a problem that we tried to solve many times and everyone is
frustrated about it. Any attempt to move forward on it is welcome :)

Marco