Greg,

> We're working on the next pre-release candidate image. Will alert on
> that as soon as we know more.
>
> There will only be a few more before we call it done!
>
> How did the testing go on 8.2-757?
>
> Links to download instructions, testing and bug reporting conventions
> and a brief write up of smoke test results can be found here:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Friends_in_testing
>
> Please send in a quick note if you tried it and include any general or
> specific impressions. Bug filings are welcome too.
>
> I'm especially interested in comments on:
> - crashes or hard freezes
> - activities that work or don't work
> - software updater
> - performance in terms of GUI responsiveness

Just awful. I only loaded 757 last night, backtracking from a joyride.
So my reactions are very preliminary and not well documented. I
initially had Q2e14, but upgraded to Q2e15.

Downloaded the g1g1 activity pack. I know that some stuff there is out
of date, but given what happened next I didn't get much further.

Browse doesn't work (no hulahop?) so it was hard to do much without
running back and forth to a working computer.

With q2e14 the machine seemed to go into a hard freeze on suspend.

Sometimes very basic activities like terminal and logviewer failed to load.

Once I seemed to lose all network activity - nothing showed up in
neighborhood view, which cleared after going in to the control panel
power management view and clicking extreme power management on and off.

Software update worked for the initial g1g1 load. No chance to exercise
it more.

Starting activities seemed a little slow. I haven't had much else to
check as far as gui speed.

Record-57 seems to have some major funk. camera shows still while in
standby. Camera captures motion during sound recording, but seems about
  a second behind reality. After capturing audio and switching to photo,
the audio disappears from the tray. Click a photo and record just goes
to spinning beachball, but you can click away from it.

> Is this release more "solid and reliable" than 70x?

I don't think so.

> Would you ship this one to 500K kids who never used a computer before?

I don't think so.

> If not now, what would you want fixed before shipping (remember the kids
> are waiting and they are not very patient  :-)  ?

Make sure we've got a base system and activities that match. Base
activities not loading due to missing libraries is a big no-no.

Bob