On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 18:09 +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 14:28 -0300, César D. Rodas wrote:
> > Hello Everybody,
> >
> > After hard debugging with Raul, we've realized that the problem was in
> > the Geode driver.
> >
> > I've changed a line within the memory buffer, and it seems to work now.
> >
> > Looking forward to get feedback (please don't be evil, it's my first
> > patch :-)
> >
> > http://oficina.paraguayeduca.org/~crodas/0045-Fixed-Out-of-memory-error-on-XO-1.patch
>
> Can you add an explanation?
>
> It doesn't look correct to me.

You are right. It's not correct. The allocation algorithm is OK as it
is. We got a wrong understanding of it and since our change made totem
and cheese work (because memory was returned - even though we might
probably be stepping on someone's else memory) we decided to share the
results.

The linked list which keeps the count of used regions seems to be
manipulated correctly so no problem there. We are actually running out
of offscreen memory.

After much looking at the code I went back to X's log and I saw an
interesting difference between 8.2 and F11.

8.2 (old geode driver):

(II) EXA(0): Offscreen pixmap area of 11208320 bytes

F11 (new geode driver):

(II) EXA(0): Offscreen pixmap area of 5829856 bytes

I wonder why there is a 3MB difference. Ideas?

Raúl