On 3/12/2013 10:21 PM, John Watlington wrote:
On Mar 12, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Holt wrote:

On 3/11/2013 10:08 PM, John Watlington wrote:
Please don't redistribute secure laptops --- OLPC's policy since early 2009 has
been to deprecate the security system.   The exceptions have been deployments
"large" enough to have dedicated support staff capable of handling their own
keys.
I wish :)  We have no choice but to continue to distribute secure laptops in
Haiti as these are Give1Get1 redonations that are already (largely) moved from
the USA to Haiti where the developer key process is unrealistic+overwhelming to
largely offline deployments.
No more unrealistic than upgrading them.   All it takes is running a collector
USB key over the laptops, mailing or emailing the small text file generated to
the
US, and receiving a small text file back.

Hmm, we'll consider it but honestly when we head to rural Haiti deployment(s) without reliable mail services for some one-time orphanage deployment/update visits starting this wkd, the above might not work.

I supposed we could consider dev keys by text/SMS in theory?

Realistically I say far better to invite you down to carry them in by motorcycle--Haiti's a shockingly beautiful, eternally misunderstood and increasingly stable place--while Spirit's flights from the US remain not so much more than last year's $59.

Early photos here: http://flickr.com/tiAyiti

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !