Thanks for all the posts.

So the license part (due to statically linking) is still the major barrier for
the community.

The toolchain and info on HOW to statically link has been mentioned by Miguel -
and was used to get Unity3D working on iPhone.  For those who don't know about
Unity, it has major support for MONO in its scripting language, and uses AOT to
compile.  It uses XCODE to compile and run the game.

Apple allows people to sell apps written by Unity3D now - which contains Mono
code, as well as MonoTouch apps so I don't think it's a problem anymore.

I've got NO problem with people wanting to get paid for their efforts.  But, as
a hobbyist who is never going to distribute my program, $400 is out of question.

I've even questioned whether or not it makes sense to use Unity to build my
application, but the cost there (and programming required) would need
justification, i.e. making programs to SELL to make back the cost of the tools.

I just want my program on a tablet... is that SO crazy?

Samsung Galaxy?