George pointed out to me last night that there's a new version of Valgrind that works on AMD (see http://www.valgrind.org/):

-----
3.0.0 is a major overhaul of Valgrind. The most significant user visible change is that Valgrind now supports architectures other than x86. The new architectures it supports are AMD64 and PPC32, and the infrastructure is present for other architectures to be added later.
-----

There are some important notes about AMD support in the NEWS file -- be sure to read it.

I also note the DOE's handiwork in the NEWS file:

-----
- Small changes in control log file naming which make it easier to
  use valgrind for debugging MPI-based programs.  The relevant
  new flags are --log-file-exactly= and --log-file-qualifier=.
-----

If you give an environment variable name to --log-file-qualifier, it will use the value of that environment variable in the output file name. Do we have a suitable environment variable which is globally available for such a purpose? (in LAM, we had $LAMRANK, which was your rank in MPI_COMM_WORLD)

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} The Open MPI Project