Ralph,

On Jan 29, 2007, at 11:10 AM, Ralph H Castain wrote:

On 1/29/07 10:20 AM, "Greg Watson" <gwat...@lanl.gov> wrote:

No, we have always called query() first, just after orte_init().
Since query() has never required a job id before, this used to work.
I think the call was required to kick the SOH into action, but I'm
not sure if it was needed for any other purpose.

Query has nothing to do with the SOH - the only time you would "need" it would be if you are reading a hostfile. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything at
the moment.

Not calling setup_job would be risky, in my opinion...

We've had this discussion before. We *need* to read the hostfile before calling setup_job() because we have to populate the registry with node information. If you're saying that this is now no longer possible, then I'd respectfully ask that this functionality be restored before you release 1.2. If there is some other way to achieve this, then please let me know. We've been doing this ever since 1.0 and in the alpha and beta versions of 1.2.

Are there likely to be further API changes before the release
version? We are trying to release PTP, but I think this is impossible
until your API's stabilize.

None planned, other than what I mentioned above. If you want to support Open MPI 1.2, you may need a slight phase shift, though, so you can see the final
release.

Please explain "phase shift".

Greg