On 1/30/07 9:24 AM, "Greg Watson" <gwat...@lanl.gov> wrote:

> Yes, we need the hostfile information before job execution. We call
> setup_job() before a debug job to request a process allocation for
> the application being debugged. We use spawn() to launch a non-debug
> application. It sounds like I should just leave things the way they
> currently are.
>
> I think we've had the discussion about bproc before, but the reason
> we still support 1.0.2 is that the registry *is* populated with node
> information prior to launch. This was an agreed on feature that
> OpenMPI was to provide for PTP. I haven't been able to test 1.2 on a
> bproc machine (since I can't get it to work), but it sounds like the
> changes removed this functionality. Frankly, this makes OpenMPI less
> attractive to us, since we now have to go and get this information
> ourselves. My thinking now is that in the future we probably won't
> use OpenMPI for anything other than building and launching the
> application.

Decisions such as that, of course, are up to you. Meantime, take a gander at
the data in ORTE_BPROC_NODE_SEGMENT within the registry. I tried to preserve
some of what was being done, even though the method used to populate the
bproc data was problematic and not really correct. You may find that the
info stuck in there meets your needs for the GUI.

My point, though, is that only bproc and hostfile would be supported under
the best of current conditions, and we only get that by circumscribing the
functional intent of several key frameworks. The general ability (across all
systems) to obtain the node info prior to launch isn't built into the code
at the moment, but is planned for ORTE 2.0 (and was built in a separate
prototype branch). For reasons totally beyond my control, the prototype ORTE
2.0 code has *not* been incorporated into Open MPI yet.

Sorry...I like that no more than you... :-/