On Jul 25, 2007, at 2:56 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

On Jul 25, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Brian Barrett wrote:

I have an even bigger objection than Rich.  It's near impossible to
measure the latency impact of something like this, but it does have
an additive effect.  It doesn't make sense to have all that code in
the critical path for systems where it's not needed.  We should leave
the compile time decision available, unless there's a very good
reason (which I did not see in this e-mail) to remove it.

It just adds a lot of #if's throughout the code.  Other than that,
there's no reason to remove it.

I agree, lots of #ifs are bad. But I guess I don't see the problem. The only real important thing people were directly accessing in the ompi_group_t is the array of proc pointers. Indexing into them could be done with a static inline function that just has slightly different time complexity based on compile options. Static inline function that just does an index in the group proc pointer would have almost no added overhead (none if the compiler doesn't suck).

Brian