Rolf -- I've made tarballs in the ustar format; can you give them a whirl?

    http://www.open-mpi.org/~jsquyres/unofficial/

On Jan 24, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Rolf Vandevaart wrote:

Jeff Squyres wrote:
On Jan 24, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Automake forces v7 mode so that Solaris tar can untar the tarball,
IIRC.
You can choose how it should behave:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Options.html#tar_002dformats
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/tar/Formats.html>

Can Solaris untar the other formats?

I just did a quick check on Solaris tar and GNU tar on Solaris 9 and 10.
 It looks like Solaris tar can handle the v7,oldgnu,ustar,gnu.  It
seemed to handle the posix format, but spit out some complaints.

(tar: ompi/PaxHeaders.19602/test_get1_mod.c~: typeflag 'x' not
recognized, converting to regular file)

I can dig deeper into this if we need to.  From what I have read maybe
using the ustar format will satisfy all our needs?  We get the longer
filenames and compatibility with older tars.  The tar man page on
Solaris 9 and 10 does not mention a 99 character limit, it says:

                             "the   filename   cannot
                             exceed  256 characters. In addition,
                             it must be  possible  to  split  the
                             name  between parent directory names