Taking a quick look at the commits it seems that r18037 looks like the most likely cause of this problem.

Previously the session directory was forced to "/tmp" if no environment variables were set. This revision removes this logic and uses the opal_tmp_directory(). Though I agree with this change, I think the logic for selecting the TMP directory should be extended to use '/tmp' if it exists. If it does not then the home directory should be a fine last alternative.

How does that sound as a solution? This would prevent us from unexpectedly changing our running behavior in user environments in which none of those variables are set.

Cheers,
Josh