Ummm...actually, there already is an MCA param that does precisely that:

OMPI_MCA_tmpdir_base

Been there for years...sets the tmpdir for both orteds and procs.

The tmpdir argument for mpirun is there if you want to ONLY set the tmpdir
base for mpirun. It provides a protective mechanism for cases where the head
node is configured differently than the compute nodes.

Ralph