The first approach sounds fair enough to me. We should avoid 2 and 3 as the pml selection mechanism used to be more complex before we reduced it to accommodate a major design bug in the BTL selection process. When using the complete PML selection, BTL would be initialized several times, leading to a variety of bugs. Eventually the PML selection should return to its old self, when the BTL bug gets fixed.

Aurelien