It is a good point. What I have prototyped would still handle it -
basically, it checks to see if any data has been published and does a modex
if so.

So if one side does send modex data, the other side will faithfully decode
it. I think the bigger issue will be if both sides don't, and they don't
match.

So perhaps for dynamic processes we just have to force the modex, just like
we force other things to happen that don't occur during a normal startup.
The prototype will handle that just fine, but I wasn't planning on
committing it into 1.3 just so we could test all these use-cases.