Ralph,
Are these systems running Linux?  If so, the long term solution is to
finish ticket  #1320:
Which would eliminate the sm backing files entierly, without needing
to reduce the size of the shared memory that is used.  For systems
where /tmp is a ramdisk, the current scheme is very wasteful (less
so if you are using tmpfs).

What kind of ramdisk are you using?  If you are not using tmpfs,
you should consider switching to tmpfs, since it allows you to have
an arbitrarily large /tmp, yet only uses as much RAM as there
are files in /tmp.  See this for a good howto/intro:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-fs3.html