On Nov 14, 2008, at 7:41 AM, Richard Graham wrote:

Just a few comments:
- not sure what sort of alternative memory approach is being considered. The current approach was selected for two reasons: - If something like anonymous memory is being used, one can only inherit access to the shared files, so one process needs set up the shared memory regions, and then fork() the procs that will use it. This usually implies that to do this portably, this needs to happen inside of MPI_Init(), so up to that stage only one process runs on each host. Also, unrelated procs can’t access this memory – can’t use this in the context of Fault Tolerance. - The approach used here is very efficient for small systems, so alternatives should be added to what is in place here, so we don’t loose the performance potential on small SMP’s, which still describes the vast majority of systems.

I concur - however, note that the segv occurred on a 4ppn system, which I think we would all agree constitutes a small SMP. I believe that the alternative memory approach needs to be a separate component, but I also believe that we need to modify the existing component so it doesn't segv if adequate memory isn't found.

Just my $.002

Rich