Hmmm....I was just typing this up when Tim's note hit. I also have two concerns that somewhat echo his:

1. since nearly everyone is at SC08, and since next week is a holiday, the timing of this merge is poor. I would really urge that you delay it until at least Dec 5 so people actually know about it - and have time to even think about it

2. how does this fit into our overall release schedule? There was talk at one time (when we thought 1.3 was going out soon) about having a short release cycle to get Windows support out for 1.4. Now this is coming into the trunk even before 1.3 goes out.

So is 1.3 going to have a lifecycle of a month? Or are we going to delay 1.3 (if it even needs to be delayed) so it can include this code?

Reason I ask: last time we rolled Windows support into the system it created a complete code fork, making support for the current stable release nearly impossible. There generated a lot of unhappiness and argument within the community until we finally released a new version.

From what I have seen as we've discussed things during devel, these are fairly well-contained changes. However, it -will- make maintaining 1.3 more difficult if people attempt to do it the old way - making changes in the trunk and patching across to 1.3. If we instead use isolated 1.3 branches for maintaining the code, then this isn't an issue.

Merits more thought than one week can provide.

Ralph