Hi Ralf,

Sorry for replying late.

what keeps you from using the autotools-based build system
with MSVC?  All you should need is a wrapper like cccl.

I didn't know this 'cccl' before, but I did give a try last weekend with Cygwin.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it work for Open MPI (latest trunk). I think cccl might work for small projects, but for large and complicated project, it couldn't work easily. By simply replacing compiler name and flags cannot make it go trough compilation and build phase, something has to be done manually with some other scripts. Maybe there's some good way to cope it with Open MPI, if anyone has succeeded with that, please let me know about it, it's very interesting for me anyway. :-)

On the other hand, there are more advantages to use CMake on Windows, e.g. easy to use with a GUI, better integration with Visual Studio IDE, automatically produce installer(tarballs) with CPACK, make tests with CTEST, etc.

Regards,
Shiqing