I don't think there was any overt thought given to it, at least not on my part. I suspect it came about because (a) the wiki defining hostfile behavior made no mention of the default value, (b) I may have overlooked the prior default when rewriting that code, and (c) since we now have default-hostfile as well as hostfile, it could be I didn't default the name since it isn't clear which one should get the default.

I honestly don't remember - this has been in the code base for a really long time now.

I have no iron in this fire - as you know, all of our environs here are managed. So I guess I'll throw it out there to the community:

do we want --default-hostfile to have a default value?

Pros: it could be considered a continuation of 1.2's hostfile behavior

Cons: we treat hostfile in a totally different way in 1.3. We now have two hostfiles: a default that applies to all app_contexts, and a hostfile that applies to only one app_context. It would seem that the default-hostfile best aligns with the old "hostfile" behavior, but could lead to some confusion in its new usage.

Any preferences/thoughts?
Ralph