On Jan 23 2009, Jeff Squyres wrote:
On Jan 23, 2009, at 12:30 AM, David Robertson wrote:

I have looked for both MPI_COMM_WORLD and mpi_comm_world but neither can be found by totalview (the parallel debugger we use) when I compile with "USE mpi". When I use "include 'mpif.h'" both MPI_COMM_WORLD and mpi_comm_world are zero.

I'm afraid I don't know why that would be.  :-(

It is fairly common for debuggers to not handle Fortran modules properly;
that is very often not the fault of the debugger, but because the compiler
has changed from one undocumented format to another.

However, if I had to bet on the cause of this, I would bet an installation
problem, with at least one set of paths or parameters set incorrectly or
incompatibly with other ones.  Now, WHICH set?  Dunno.

MPI_COMM_WORLD is set to a large integer (1140850688) in MPICH2 so I wonder if there is something in HDF5 and/or NetCDF4 that doesn't like 0 for the communicator handle. At any rate, you have given me some ideas of things to check in the debugger tomorrow. Is there a safe way to change what MPI_COMM_WORLD is set to in OpenMPI?

No.  Open MPI's Fortran MPI_COMM_WORLD is pretty much hard-wired to 0.

That's a mistake.  But probably non-trivial to fix.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  n...@cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679