There was discussion about this issue on the call today. Several vendors expressed willingness to "fix" the problem and make OMPI interop with different HCAs and RNICs in a single job run: Sun, IBM, Mellanox.

So the question is -- what exactly do you want to do to fix this? Assumedly this kind of auto-detection will only occur when we have a modex -- further assuming that each port (module) can pass around its vendor and part ID. Then upon start_connect(), you can look up your peer's vendor and part ID and look up its values in the INI file and see if there's a clash. That's a very general idea; I haven't re- looked at the code recently to see if that would actually work.

I posted one idea here:

    http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2009/01/7861.php

But I'm not entirely convinced that's the Right way to go.