cid's are in fact not recycled in the block algorithm. The problem is that comm_free is not collective, so you can not make any assumptions whether other procs have also released that communicator.

But nevertheless, a cid in the communicator structure is a uint32_t, so it should not hit the 16k limit there yet. this is not new, so if there is a discrepancy between what the comm structure assumes that a cid is and what the pml assumes, than this was in the code since the very first days of Open MPI...

Thanks
Edgar