When we added the CM PML, we added a pml_max_contextid field to the PML structure, which is the max size cid the PML can handle (because the matching interfaces don't allow 32 bits to be used for the cid. At the same time, the max cid for OB1 was shrunk significantly, so that the header on a short message would be packed tightly with no alignment padding.

At the time, we believed 32k simultaneous communicators was plenty, and that CIDs were reused (we checked, I'm pretty sure). It sounds like someone removed the CID reuse code, which seems rather bad to me. There have to be unused CIDs in Ralph's example - is there a way to fallback out of the block algorithm when it can't find a new CID and find one it can reuse? Other than setting the multi-threaded case back on, that is?

Brian