I agree with Terry here about being careful in pursuing this path. What I
wouldn't want to have happen is to force anyone wanting to be notified of
error events to have to also turn on peruse, which impacts the non-error
code path.

Again, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do here. As I understood
the original RFC, it sounded like you wanted to track errors but only report
them when they occurred a controlled number of times (as opposed to every
time). I think this would better be done outside of peruse.

If you are trying to track normal performance (e.g., trying to alert sys
admins when networks aren't running as fast as they should), then that
probably should be done inside of peruse. However, that definitely will
impact the critical code path, so Terry's caution is definitely a concern.