On May 28, 2009, at 2:55 AM, Nadia Derbey wrote:

Well, it didn't because from what I understood, the MPI program need to
be changed (register a callback routine for the event, activate the
event, etc), and this is something we wanted to avoid.

Combined with what Terry and Ralph already said, I just wanted to make sure this point is crystal clear: what we're proposing is that you use peruse *internally* -- there's no need to change MPI applications.

Now, if we are allowed to
1. define new "internal" PERUSE events,
2. internally set the associated callback routines

Peruse was designed to be extensible, I believe. So adding new events into its infrastructure may not be too terrible (I didn't work on the peruse stuff; George/Rainer would have to comment on that). The bigger issue is adding hooks to call those peruse events in the main progression engines. Adding them to error paths (or already-slow paths) might not be too bad. But I'm sure that many of us would scrutinize such changes closely -- as previously stated, we don't want to negatively impact performance for those who will not be using this functionality.