See this FAQ entry for a description:

    http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=openfabrics#ofa-port-wireup

Right now, there's no way to force a particular connection pattern on the openib btl at run-time. The startup sequence has gotten sufficiently complicated / muddied over the years that it would be quite difficult to do so. Pasha is in the middle of revamping parts of the openib startup (see http://bitbucket.org/pasha/ompi-ofacm/); it *may* be desirable to fully clean up the full openib btl startup sequence when he's all finished.