Hi Tom,

Yes, there is a goal in mind, and definetly not performance : we are working on device failover, i.e when a network adapter or switch fails, use the remaining one. We don't intend to improve performance with multi-rail (which as you said, will not happen unless you have a DDR card with PCI Exp 8x Gen2 and a very nice routing - and money to pay for the doubled network :)).

The goal here is to use port 1 of each card as a primary way of communication with a fat tree and port 2 as a failover solution with a very light network, just to avoid aborting the MPI app or at least reach a checkpoint.

Don't worry, another team is working on opensm, so that routing stays optimal.

Thanks for your warnings however, it's true that a lot of people see these "double port IB cards" as "doubled performance".

Sylvain